GCC offers comprehensive food safety educational programs to help you and your staff understand what’s needed for your operation to implement an effective food safety program. We help you set up the systems and forms in the easiest, least expensive way for your operation.
Our programs are customized to meet the specific needs, geography, commodities, and other unique aspects of your growing and/or handling operation. We have successfully designed, developed and helped implement programs for:
- harvest crews
- farms/ranches (organic and conventional)
- field pack operations
- citrus groves
- cooling facilities
- package manufacturers
- sanitary unit providers
Most commonly, Glades Crop Care will:
- Conduct a baseline evaluation of each farm or facility, to determine site-specific practices, in order to properly customize the Food Safety Program
- Develop all of the Standard Operating Procedures, Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures, Log sheets/Checklists, and Self-Audit forms necessary to fully document the Food Safety program
- Provide all customized documents in hard copy and on CD, and train your staff on managing these site-specific documents
- Conduct onsite training sessions for your management personnel, including facility managers/supervisors, crew leaders, farm foremen, etc., on basic food safety, worker hygiene, and field or facility sanitation
- Conduct an internal audit at the farm/facility, designed to train your staff on the techniques of self-auditing
- Conduct a mock or educational audit for each grower, harvest crew, and facility, to evaluate their readiness for Independent Third Party Audits
GCC offers food safety training videos for harvest crews and packinghouse workers. The two training videos are available in DVD format only. The training material is presented first in Spanish, then in English, thus streamlining training of all of your English- and Spanish-speaking workers.
The harvest crew video covers worker hygiene, drinking water, field sanitation, moving portable toilets, injuries, illness, REI’s and PHI’s. The video dovetails perfectly with all of the commercially available Worker Protection Standards videos.
The packinghouse worker video covers hygiene, restroom use, hand washing, reporting illness or injury, cleaning and sanitizing the facility, methods to prevent contamination of packing materials, and what to do if broken glass or other foreign objects are discovered.
Each video includes a 10 question exam, also in Spanish and English, usable to measure the effectiveness of the learning experience, and to document completion of the training as part of your food safety program. Workers will relate well to the message, and remember more of what they need to know.
These videos were developed by Glades Crop Care, and filmed and produced in working packinghouses and farms by an eight-time Emmy award-winning producer/photographer. Call 561-746-3740 to order your videos. For multiple copies to outfit your farms or facilities, volume discounts are available.
Glades Crop Care has invested our time and energy participating in programs aimed specifically at helping small farmers and packers develop and implement food safety programs. In October of 2009, a number of issues facing small farmers came into focus during an FDA-led Small Farms Produce Safety Listening Session. The University of Florida/IFAS organized this program to allow farmers throughout the state to express concerns using the distance learning technology at experiment stations and IFAS centers around the state. By attending this listening session, Glades Crop Care was able to hear what the FDA heard regarding the very real concerns and hardships of small farmers as they struggle to implement food safety programs, and the balancing act that must be performed to do this while still operating the farm and trying to make a profit. Our participation in that listening session has increased our resolve to make our educational programs as practical, understandable and cost effective as possible – for operations of all sizes.